Friday, August 7, 2009

WILD STYLE

1983, the year I discovered breakdancing. Short-lived, once I realized my skinny undeveloped arms were too weak to hold my baby fat weight up doing The Turtle, or attempting to execute the Windmill. At 13 going on 14, I saved my dollars to shop for the latest break-gear which included my first pair of Adicolor highcuts. I gave up on the dancing.
1983 was also the year WILD STYLE was released. The film documents "the greats becoming great; Crazy Legs, the Rock Steady Crew and many more are to breakdancing what Grandmaster Flash and Grandmaster Caz and many more are to turntablism what Double Trouble and many more are to MCing what Lee and Zephyr and many more are to graffiti."


Title design was created by New York based, Zephyr who was one of the pioneers of graffiti beginning in the late 1970’s. In the multidimensional world of WILD STYLE, he is “Zroc,” essentially playing himself. He was also one of the head animators on the opening titles. Animation by Joey Ahlbum, Andrew ‘Zephyr’ Witten, the film was directed by Charlie Ahearn.

Here's a look (animation starts out midway of the clip so enjoy it, be patient!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark