Saturday, August 15, 2009

BOMBAY TALKIE


I love Bollywood. I love Indian Food. I love giant sized hand painted movie posters from Japan, Singapore and of course, India. The ability to digitally produce building size movie key art cannot and will not ever compare to the brushstrokes of these unsung heroes, the artists. I remember as a kid being both scared yet enchanted by these larger than life creations highlighting painted expressions of terror, fear and even love, as we drove by in Dad's old Volvo. On our way to some other destination, other than the cinema.
Watching the titles for Merchant Ivory's BOMBAY TALKIE, stirred up these fond memories. Though I've yet to see the film, I know I'll enjoy it being a fan of any Merchant Ivory production.
These beautiful titles were designed by Tilak and music by Shankar Jalikshan. No pseudo slick OTT 3D CGI typography BS, just brilliant in-camera technique and art direction. This gets my vote for one of the best film titles!

CLICK HERE FOR 480p VERSION


PS. Although I don't get to enjoy this unique and exquisite movie artwork any longer, I do get a heavy dose of Bollywood movies when I visit my family in Singapore. Thanks for the memory, Tilak and Merchant Ivory!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark