Sunday, August 16, 2009

CARDON WEBB



One redesigned flyer at a time, SVA graduate Cardon Webb sets out to rebrand illegal pole-postings, flyers advertising everything from maid services to missing house pets. Perhaps a sign of the times as more people become jobless and designers just want to do what we do best, even though we don't get the monetary returns immediately. Cardon's pro bono efforts and contributions paid off when he was recognized by the Type Directors' Club, who invited him to showcase his acts of brilliance in a solo exhibition this year in May. We congratulate Mr. Webb and thank him for the inspiration, and acts of volunteerism!


Here's some of that brilliance plus more to be enjoyed on his website.






























"CARDON COPY, TAKES THE VERNACULAR OF SELF- DISTRIBUTED FLIERS AND TEAR-OFFS WE HAVE ALL SEEN IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODS. IT INVOLVES HIJACKING THESE UNCONSIDERED FLIERS AND REDESIGNING THEM, OVER POWERING THEIR MESSAGE WITH A NEW VISUAL LANGUAGE. I THEN REPLACE THE ORIGINAL WITH THE REDESIGN IN ITS AUTHENTIC ENVIRONMENT.






























(Actually I think some of the originals look pretty good especially this flyer that's washed out and streaky. I love pedestrian)


6 comments:

Jamie Croft said...

wow!

what a way to give.

I wonder, if he has any info on how effective the flyers were after he redesigned them.

Good post.

Phil Han said...

Hey Jamie
I think the recognition from the Type Directors Club is proof enough. Don't you think?
I like his enthusiasm and spirit. We wish him the best. Hey thanks for the comment, oh and the LINKEDIN add too.

L8

MJ Vilardi said...

Ahhh... no. How to say nicely... his redesigns, um, don't work. Would you hire a $10/hr cleaning lady from that precious, overwrought gothic thing? I'd be afraid she and her cult would hang me upside down in my apartment and frost me like a cupcake. (Actually that might be fun) BUT still, this is, (to me) form *way* over function...

Fascinating though, and thought provoking... when is design *too* good? Thanks for the post!

Phil Han said...

Good point MJ. I think he's just bored. I know I am, being out of work. Thanks for the point of view.

MJ Vilardi said...

Aee. I heard that Bro. Me too. Funny how being creative doesn't stop when the checks stop. Your spare time is our (Dirty Blog lovers') gain. I'm sure you and Cardon will get some high-profile work out of your bullpen warmup!

Phil Han said...

Aaw that's so kind of you. Thank you. In the mean time, I'll just catch up on some Family Guy! Hehe

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark