Monday, June 1, 2009

MUSIC : The Big Sound of Lill' Gee

I will admit when I lived and worked in New York City, I was already a huge fan of dance music but never really got to savor that 'dark beat' of the city, until I became a New Yorker. Even when my career brought me to Los Angeles, I would still fly back every other month just so I could feel that New York sound reverberate through my veins. The latin drums of Junior Vasquez to the progressive house of Tenaglia, even the tribal beats of Victor Calderone, they all beckoned. But those days of stepping out at 6am to enter the cavernous hallways of Twilo on Sunday mornings are but an echo of the beats that live on in my head and now, my iPod.

Then, I met DJ/Producer Gerard Mattera aka Lill' Gee. A friend I've hung out with only a couple of times (sadly) but gotten to know better, actually because of Facebook :) I might never step into another New York club again but this man manages to bring 'that sound', piping hot, gliding right into my ears, keeping that rhythm in me thumping and humming along. I will admit I've only sampled the Radio options in iTunes, in small parts, avoiding the Dance section, especially the silly Trance-synth thumpers or the generic Tribal gay sound supplemented by an overproduced black female vocal. But ever since Lil' Gee started playing live on iTunes, I've tuned in. I've also downloaded the entire show from this site, so I can remember that NY sound again. He's that good.

Lill' Gee manages to weave a sound, beat after beat, keeping me riveted to my seat. When he plays, I find myself shoving my un-'long' iPod headphones plugged into my Macbook, deeper into my ears, trying not to miss out on a single beat or tease especially when he finally drops that bass in a crescendo. He reminds me of Junior and a little Tenaglia but that's where it ends, and that's when Lill' Gee takes it and makes it, his very own.

So if you like Progressive House, Electro, Tribal, Underground House and would like to sample that 'dark beat' of New York City. Tune in to Lill Gee's Beat Machine, 1-3 p ET 10-12a PT every Tuesday on iTunes Radio. Go to the Dance Section, click on the Miamibeatz Station and let Gee take control. You can also download the show @ http://www.miamibeatz.com/

BTW his birthday is on Wednesday June 3 and to celebrate on Tuesday, he has invited onto his show special guest, Heather Leigh West of Drop A House fame! Check it out or add him as a friend in Facebook to wish him a Happy Birthday! Search for Gerard Mattera. He's the handsome and sexy dude in the beautiful illustration. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark