Saturday, June 6, 2009

THE LIST : DIRTYBOY's 100+ Celebrity Sightings and Run-in's


If you're interested in celebrity, read on about my run-in's. If not, push on. Still I thought I'd share with our international readers, my experience bumping into them and sometimes working with them. And the answer is Yes, the next time someone not from the US or LA for that matter asks me, "So do you see any stars?" You'll be, after I'm through with you.
LOL Here are 5 of my faves and then some:

1. PAUL RUDD of 40 Year Old Virgin and most recently, I Love You, Man fame. I ran into Paul 3 times in Manhattan, in 1997. Twice in different locations and finally at restaurant Chat n Chew during lunch. We both finally acknowledged each other. All in 1 week! Never saw him again.

2. FAMKE JANSSEN of X-Men Trilogy films. Another tri-run-in. Once just in passing and the next time she was standing right beside me ordering food at M, the trendy microbiotic food hotspot on Melrose and La Brea. She is tall! And she looked kinda exhausted probably from acting and publicity blah blahs (X-Men Final Stand had just been released). She picked up her food and got into a car with a pretty young man at the wheel. One day, while buying cigs from a store across from where I use to work (E!), I noticed a friendly Boston Terrier. As I went up to pet it, I noticed a pair of beautiful long legs stepping out from behind a pillar, obviously 'attached' to the Bos. Holy smokes! It's Famke again. She was on the phone and talking to a friend too. She smiled and we both said hello. She's tall...did I say that already?

3. ETHAN HAWKE of Great Expectations and Dead Poet's Society fame. A friend of mine in New York kept bragging to me about how Mr Hawke lived on his street on West 21st in Manhattan and how he had seen him naked in the showers at the YMCA. LOL I visited my friend in NY a couple of weeks later. Decided to get off the cab on 9th and low and behold, busting out of his apartment in gym gear no doubt, was Mr. Hawke himself. No, I did not follow!

4. KIERA KNIGHTLEY, star of Atonement and most recently the award-winning The Duchess. Middle of the week, decided to do a little sneaky lunch shopping with friend Janice, at Nordstrom's at The Grove in Los Angeles. We decided to chow at the Nord's café (they sell reasonably priced tasty sams and salads plus Italian soda). Up walked a tiny, very pretty girl with 2 guys, into the entrance of Nord's, obviously shopping. Kiera with new short do, was in a summer-y dress and accompanied by her boyfriend and friend. Waved at her, and she waved back.

5. This is a Double Whammy baby! BROOKE SHIELDS and ROB LOWE. Working out at the gym on the Warner Bros lot in Burbank. Brooke walks by and says hello. I didn't even realize it was her till after. What a beautiful woman. In walks Rob Lowe, when White House drama on NBC started to get popular. Rob and Brooke embrace. I'm working my chest when I hear, "Can I work in a set with you?" It's Rob. I mean there were only 2 of us in the gym, why couldn't he find another machine? Oh well. I ended up spotting him.

And then some...
  • Paris Hilton - E!, rehearsing exiting lobby entrance for promo shoot. She has pretty long legs.
  • Steven Soderbergh - art store in SoHo. Looking at strange wrapping paper I had just picked up. Gave me a blank look, as I, him.
  • Gary Sinise - the Grove with family
  • James Woods (the same day as Gary) - the Grove with strange young girl
  • Isaac Mizrahi - E!, shook hands and talked. I branded his show on STYLE
  • Lisa Rinna - E!, looking for the lobby
  • Lionel Richie - VH1 lobby, looking for the elevator
  • LL Cool J - VH1 elevator with his possé, LL and me. We nodded.
  • Carrie Ann Moss - Whole Foods, chatted with her while in check out line
  • Jane Krakowski - buying flowers at Pavillions, we chatted
  • Foxy Brown - VH1, running away from mob at lobby, yelling at publicist on cell, "Get me outta here. I ain't going out there". She was referring to the mob that had formed outside the MTV Studios on Times Square
  • Band members from Metallica, MTV promo shoot in Singapore. Really cool guys.
  • Perry Farrell, lobby of The Mondrian with black lady friend in arm, 8am on a Sunday
  • Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro, running out of Sushi Roku into limo. They surprised me bolting out, staring.
  • Dan Futterman, parking lot of Home Depot with family
  • Hank Azaria, shopping at American Rag, Sat mid-morning before the crush.
  • Nathan Lane, G in Manhattan. Flirty.
  • Forest Whitaker, at a café on Beverly Blvd
  • John Malkovich, looking grumpy waiting in line at art store (across the street from where I saw Forest)
  • Jody Watley, still with big hoop earrings but with 2 kids in tow, paying for groceries at Gelson's West Hollywood - she was nice and friendly
  • Jason Sehorn, shopping at Best Buy on Sawtelle, with older man, probably his Dad.
  • Courtney Cox, showing off the new Porsches they got from the studio, on the WB lot
  • Calvin Klein, dinner at then Bowery Bar in NY
  • Andre Leon Talley, worked with him during Fashion Week in NYC. Really nice queen.
  • John Galliano, several times at Zouk in Singapore when he toured with his DJ friend MC Amos. One night after mumbling something to me, he passed right out beside me on a Noguchi sofa. He went on to become Fashion Darling du jour.
  • Sandra Bullock with fashionista Philip Bloch, laughing it up, waiting for a table at Kokomo, then at the Farmers' Market in LA
  • Tom Leykis with au kurant gf, yelling at sales people at Enterprise on Sunset Strip. They were there when I arrived, and they were still there when I got my car.
  • Pauly Shore, in blue running shorts (No!), looking kinda lost outside of the Starbucks right beside the Enterprise, one Sat morning
  • Susan Sontag, elevator at London Terrace, NYC. On her way up to her penthouse. Brilliant lady. Rest in peace.
  • Dick Van Dyke, shopping at Macy's Century City. My mom spotted him first.
  • Ann Miller, dining at Madam Wu's The Grove (now defunct), just after successful Mulholland Drive. She passed on shortly. Rest in Peace Ms Miller.
  • Kathy Griffin, sat beside her at MTV VMAs and also walked right by her when I was boarding in Business on a United flight to JFK. She and her publicist didn't get their upgrade. Still on the D-List, Kathy?
  • Lance from NSYNC, E! lobby after coming out
  • Mercedes from America's Next Top Model, looking pretty at E! lobby
  • Naomi Campbell, looking pissy at E! lobby, with possé. Walked right into her.
  • Ryan Seacrest (boring) all the time at E!. He's really small and has really small hands.
  • Kevin Connolly, chatting with 'small hands' in E! studios
  • Lisa Bonet with new baby, and Hawaiian beau, sitting at the next table at my fave organic Jap rest on La Brea across from American Rag (name?)
  • RuPaul, ran into him at VH1 studios while branding his show and again, shopping at a street fair below my apartment in Chelsea, dressed as a man. Go figure.
  • Annbella Lwin of early 80's new wave band Bow Wow Wow, She paid me some compliment. WTH.
  • Josh Hartnett, eating with girlfriend at the next table, Lulu's on Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles
  • Matt LeBlanc, driving behind me
  • Wesley Snipes, walking one evening in Greenwich Village. Very friendly
  • Foo Fighters, MTV VMA Post Show Party at Bryant Park
  • Bjork, at the same party
  • Geena Davis, same party
  • Susan Sarandon, same
  • David Boreanaz, at another MTV VMA's party this time in Los Angeles
  • Dean Cain, at the same party and then years later still looking sexy at the E! lobby
  • Nia Peeples, chatted about her career in the (where else!) E! lobby
  • Joan Rivers and boring Melissa Rivers, snarling at coffee service at E! coffee shop, waiting for cup of joe
  • Kylie Minogue, at Zouk in Singapore. We did her publicity and promotions for her comeback album. She came up to us and introduced herself while we were working on her stage. Apparently before the press conference the next morning, her assistant who later became a good friend of mine at MTV, gave her a pep talk because Ms. Minogue was being 'difficult' and refused to talk to the press because she wasn't in the mood. She should be so lucky!
  • HRH Prince Edward, getting into a limo across the UN
  • Stephen Gaghan, was my neighbor upstairs when I lived on Sweetzer in West Hollywood. He came knocking on my door the day he moved out to go finish his script in his new Malibu home. Said it was his big break. Next time I saw him was on stage holding the award for Best Screenplay at the Oscars. He wrote Traffic. A real nice guy.
  • Raymond Cruz, my neighbor when I lived on Silverlake Blvd. Was always fixing up his truck and waving
  • Jerry O'Connell, slurping drinks at E! Courtyard Party. Who invited him?
  • Rick Fox, elevator at E!. He was whining about some other star to his manager, post-Vanessa Williams
  • Gregory Hines, working out at Gold's Gym Venice (not the one on the beach, the real gym!) Rest in peace.
  • The Rock, doing cardio on a bike at Gold's too. He gave me 'the eye'
  • Tyra Banks jaywalking with possé after Sat brunch at now defunct Doughboy's on 3rd St, LA.
  • Kirsten Dunst, Sun brunching at Hugo's in Studio City. Smiled and hello.
  • Kirsten's ex, Jake Gyllenhaal looking real cute, with blonde girl, shopping for toiletries at Long's across from Bev Center
  • Ian Ziering, Sunday brunching with friends at The Griddle. Across from my table
  • Tori Spelling, picking up car in basement park below daddy's office
  • Alexis Arquette, in full drag at a party up in the Hills. They were passing out free...
  • Robin Williams (I got that one too Sineady), looking like a kid on Christmas morning, at the E3 Conference
  • Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe. My ex was shooting them when they were on their Discovery Tour. I went backstage to meet them and got introduced to Neil in his drawers and Chris who tried to avoid silly Aussies getting drunk pretending they knew the Pets. Sipped champagne with Neil at the club later.
  • Juliette Lewis, walked right into her at LAX on my way to SF
  • Fred Ward, at SFO waiting for shuttle flight to LAX
  • Walter Koenig, SFO too
  • Leeza Gibbons, while I was at Extra
  • Alan Thicke, smiling and groaning in the E! elevator
  • David Hasselhoff, The Hoff stomping around the E! Lobby
  • Scott Baio, smoking it up in the E! Courtyard
  • Jon Norris, event at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC
  • Bai Ling, was introduced to her at Extra
  • Hal Sparks, chowing down late at Mel's Diner on the strip
  • Marshall Bell, parking his car, with male friend to pick up dry cleaning.
  • Michael Ironside cruising the aisles at Gelson's
  • LeVar Burton, late for a flight at LAX
  • Gary Coleman, when he visited Extra for an interview
  • Mo' Gaffney with baby, visiting Extra several times. A real nice lady and funny too.
  • Zoë Wanamaker (Harry Potter's Quidditch instructor, Madam Hooch) having a smoke during the intermission of Baz Lurhmann's short-lived La Boheme in NYC. She still had the funky hair and she was swathed in red shawl.
  • Eric Balfour (Six Feet Under) having lunch at Italian restaurant in Larchmont
  • Joanna Cassidy also seen around the same time, at another restaurant in Larchmont, looking beautiful and radiant as ever
  • Hayden Panettiere, having lunch with some guy at Swingers, midweek. Cozy in booth
  • Jeff Probst, jaywalking right in front of my car at the William Morris Agency in Beverly Hills. Smiley, looked kinda tired.
  • Hugh Hefner with Playboy girls, Extra Holiday Party at Barfly
  • Rupert Everett seen twice partying it up in NYC, at defunct The Lure and the other at The Roxy
  • Dennis Hopper, several times sipping coffee, reading a paper and just being Hopper, at the Boba Café on Wilshire Blvd. Really nice guy and super friendly. The eatery is kinda hidden and very laid back, hence Dennis milling about. Food is pretty good too. Rumor has it his production company was around the corner. Reminds me of a coffee & bagel place I use to go to every morning when I lived in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn
  • Ben Kingsley, lunching at The Ivy, Beverly Hills
  • Tricky, twice at Whole Foods on 3rd St

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My run in's
Dustin Hoffman
Moby
Selma Hayak
Robin williams
Bono
(went to madonna's party)
the list goes on and on :)

Phil Han said...

Bring it on Sineady! List it up

Phil Han said...

Sineady, you gotta list your run-in's especially walking right into Bono and Courtney Love, honking at ya!

cardiogrl said...

FUN - i don't think i can remember them all - I'm too old!

Phil Han said...

Ha! I can't help it. I have a photographic memory. Thanks, I am glad you enjoy it.

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark