Saturday, July 11, 2009

WAYNE WHITE




If you remember how delicious that Thai Cobb Salad was, you'll remember Wayne White's delectable masterpieces adorning the walls of Fred 62 in Los Feliz (which BTW is still one of my fave eats in Los Angeles). Mr White captures a WTF way some of us might feel sometimes with his very original use of typography and a 70's oil painted style, that winks at you with his in your face messaging.
Recently, while waiting for the movie UP to start at the Los Felix 3 (which is across the street from Fred's), I decided to check out another long-standing time killer of mine, Skylight Books. Lo and behold, Wayne White was launching his coffee-table book Wayne White: Maybe Now I'll Get the Respect I So Richly Deserve by friend Todd Oldham - the next day at 5pm! (You can purchase it in the right column here on my blog). I've always admired his work and now I get to bring a 'little' of Wayne home; to be inspired. The book is thick and heavy and...gosh the man is incredibly prolific and so refreshing. With each page turn of the beautifully printed and bound book, his work surprises and delights and never lets you forget you are looking and appreciating the work of a truly original artist of our modern age. Wink.

Book for sale here @ My Amazon Store

MORE LINKS:
Mireille Mosier Ltd
- more examples of his work plus bio
Western Project - west coast representation
Fluxionesque - blog featuring more of his work

CLICK BELOW for a mini gallery of his work and some bio/info.

2 comments:

Michael Brown said...

Thanks for this, Phil. I heard a piece on KPCC-- but don't know if it was local or NPR. Can't find it just now, but you'd like to hear it. They said the paintings at Fred 62 are now worth $8,000+! Enough to make one dine and dash.

Phil Han said...

It's my pleasure. 8Gs huh...damn

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark