Monday, May 11, 2009

Dirtyboy Picks Promax BDA 2009

Hello there. I thought I'd kick off my Blog with some examples of work that made an impact on me, during the last couple of weeks I spent judging for the 2009 Promax and BDA compeitition. Whether it was good writing, brand continuity, riveting design or an irreverent style, these works provided me the emotional connection, allowing me to identify with the promoted show or the network. Ergo elevating and distinguishing themselves above the noisy clutter of banal television branding, effectively and intelligently. Note that these are only the ones I had the opportunity to score. None of them were produced nor executed by me, sadly. However I hope you enjoy this small showcase as much as I did reviewing them, and join me in applauding these individuals and companies, who have produced such astounding work in 2008! (Not in any order...)



ON AIR SPOTS

VH1 BLACK HISTORY MONTH CAMPAIGN :
Brilliant use of effective writing, sublime 3D and stylish animation, finished off with a well directed Live Action spot highlight some salient messaging. When VH1 shines, they really do!



MTV TR3s :
I think this was by far the strongest contender for great writing used in a television campaign, and probably MTV's best entry this year! It intrigued me and sparked an interest in this apparently popular block of programming on the quite oft muddied brand of MTV.




THORNBERG & FORRESTER AICP OPEN
Matz all over this one



SPIKE STAR WARS IMAGE SPOT CAMPAIGN
Humorous and superb writing



G4 ATTACK OF THE SHOW
Excellent!



FX NIP/TUCK
A very polished graphic package with a new use of the kaleidescope effect - so very NIP/TUCK!




SHOWTIME DEXTER HOUSE OF HORRORS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBiLZRMKkw


CARTOON NETWORK HOLIDAY
I like the Gandry-esque style and found it quite effective.




HONORABLE MENTION

COMEDY CENTRAL SOUTH PARK
I felt this was funny but not that effective. Still worth the mention.






PRINT & OFF AIR MARKETING



SPIKE STAR WARS BUS STOP TAKEOVER
The judges were wondering how long this campaign lasted.



FOX SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE? POSTERS : I know I should try not to reveal too much but this set of posters really blew me away. The dynamic positions of the talent, the stark photography, the harsh cropping drove me to also nominate this campaign for Judges Award. There I said it. Good luck FOX! (A far better campaign than the 'other' over indulgent talent show on the same network)

1 comments:

Sinead Harte said...

MTV is the best and SYTYCD posters are great! thanks for posting

Post a Comment

Please comment. Thank you.

+

Share/Save/Bookmark